Our noses facilitate breathing by helping to keep out potentially harmful dirt, allergens, and other agents. Our noses and sinuses can become infected or inflamed making breathing uncomfortable or difficult. Learn more about some of the common sinus and nasal conditions Naugatuck Valley ENT can diagnose and treat.
- Deviated Septum is condition when the nasal septum that is off-center. The nasal septum is the bone and cartilage that divides the inside of the nose in half. The bone and cartilage are covered by a special skin called a mucous membrane that has many blood vessels in it. Ideally, the left and right nasal passageways are equal in size. However, it is estimated that as many as 80 percent of people have a nasal septum that is off-center.
- Fungal Sinusitis is a broad term used to describe various situations when fungus might be involved in the cause or symptoms of nasal and sinus inflammation. Fungus is an entirely separate “kingdom” from plants and animals; they are plant-like but cannot create their own food like plants do.
- Geriatric Rhinitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes or lining of the nasal cavity. Patients with geriatric rhinitis may have nasal obstruction or congestion, runny nose or post-nasal drip, itchy nose, sneezing, and/or nasal dryness or crusting.
- Nasal Fractures or broken noses, may result from facial injuries in contact sports or falls. Injuries affecting the teeth and mouth may also affect the nose. If you’ve been struck in the nose, it’s important to see a physician to check for septal hematoma.
- Nosebleeds (called epistaxis) are caused when tiny blood vessels in the nose break. Nosebleeds are very common and affect many people at some point in their lives. About 60 percent of people will experience a nosebleed in their lifetime, typically while young children and over the age of 50.
- Sinus HeadachesNot every headache is the result of sinus and nasal passage problems as the headache might actually be a migraine or tension headache. The confusion is common, as a migraine can cause irritation of the “trigeminal,” or fifth cranial nerve, a nerve with branches in the forehead, cheeks, and jaw. This may produce pain and nasal symptoms in or near the sinus cavity.
- Sinusitis is usually has symptoms of discolored nasal drainage and blockage hang around for more than 10 days. Sinuses are hollow spaces in the bones around the nose that connect to the nose through small, narrow channels. Sinusitis, also called rhinosinusitis because the symptoms involve both the nose and the sinuses, affects about one in eight adults annually.
Please contact Naugatuck Valley ENT at (203) 578-4630 to set up an appointment.